African Union 50th Anniversary to Kick-Off
Addis Ababa, January 5 (WIC) - Preparations are well underway in Ethiopia for the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the African Union (AU).
The Golden Jubilee will be celebrated with a variety of programs ranging from cultural shows panel discussions, documentary films, outdoor and indoor music extravaganza, mass sport, postage to stamp inaugurations, highlighting the eventful journey Ethiopia and the organization made together in the past 50 years.
The celebrations will kick-off this month and run until May 25th, the actual date of the establishment of the OAU in Addis Ababa 50 years ago.
A National Committee composed of seven sub-committees drawn from various government offices, has been putting together the activities lined up to mark the occasion colorfully.
The National Committee is now led by a Secretariat based at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The celebration is meant to reflect Ethiopia's unwavering commitment to the ideals of the OAU/AU and the active role it played in the Organization beginning with the formative stages of the establishment of the OAU, throughout the decolonization process, the post-independence era and the present period.
In the past 50 years, Ethiopia has developed a special relationship with the OAU/AU working with it closely in realizing the vision articulated by the founding fathers 50 years ago.
This cooperation has manifested itself in practical action in terms of promoting Africa's political, economic and social agenda in a wide range of issues, such as conflict resolution, peacekeeping and regional integration as well as the promotion of democracy and good governance. (allAfrica.com)
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi