AU plans six-month Golden Jubilee celebration
Addis Ababa, December 8 (WIC) - Golden Jubilee of the African Union (AU) will be celebrated with various assortments for six months beginning from next January, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) said.
Chief Advisor with the Ministry, Professor Mekonnen Hadis said here Friday that the event will take place as per the decision of the 16th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union held in January 2011.
Prof. Mekonnen said the national organizing committee and the secretariat office set up for celebration of the event are striving to make the 50th anniversary of the formation of Organization of African Unity (OAU), now AU.
Embassies of different African countries based here, the Addis Ababa City Administration, members of the business community, scholars, women and youth will be taking part in the commemoration, he said.
Prof. Mekonnen on the occasion called on the media to promote contribution of African leaders towards establishment of the OAU and its progress during the last 50 years.
Celebration of the Golden Jubilee will be concluded in May 25, 2013.
The Organization of African Unity (OAU) was established on 25th of May 1963 in Addis Ababa. The decision to transform the OAU into the AU was announced at the final summit meeting of the OAU in July 2001.
The OAU was originally established to promote unity, solidarity and international cooperation among the newly independent African states.
The OAU served its mission and became AU to address the current needs of the continent.
The Heads of State and Government of the Assembly of the African Union met for the inaugural session of the African Union in Durban, South Africa on July 10, 2002. (ENA)
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea