Bomb attack in Djibouti kills three
Addis Ababa, 26 May 2014 (WIC) - An explosion at a restaurant in Djibouti on Saturday (May 24) killed three people and wounded several others.
The head of police in Djibouti city, Colonel Omar Hassan, characterized the act as “criminal” and no one has claimed responsibility, but the Interior Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that "Early indications of the investigations show that the attackers were two suicide bombers of Somali origin; a man and a veiled woman."
The French foreign ministry confirmed that several of its nationals were slightly wounded in the attack, and a Netherlands’ newspaper reported six Dutch soldiers who had been taking part in an anti-piracy mission were lightly wounded.
The restaurant, La Chaumiere, is reportedly popular with foreigners in Djibouti and the attack was condemned by the European Union Naval Force and the African Union. on Sunday (May 25).
In a statement, Djibouti's Finance Minister, Ilyas M. Dawaleh, said the country must "remain united in the face of such barbaric acts". (MoFA)
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea