UN Women launches a year-long global campaign to build gender equality
Addis Ababa, 26 May 2014 (WIC) - The United Nations organization tasked with promoting gender equality launched a major campaign on Thursday (May 22), kicking off a year-long, worldwide commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the landmark Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing.
During the year, UN Women says it aims to mobilize governments and citizens alike to picture a world where gender equality is a reality and to join “a global conversation” on empowering women to empower humanity.
Events will focus on achievements and on the gaps in gender equality and women’s empowerment since 189 Governments adopted the 1995 Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action.
The aim is to pave the way for women’s full and equal participation in all spheres of life and decision-making.
Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director of UN Women said “The Beijing Platform for Action is an unfulfilled promise to women and girls.”
She added “Our goal is straightforward: renewed commitment, strengthened action and increased resources to realize gender equality, women’s empowerment and the human rights of women and girls.”
In its announcement of the upcoming campaign, UN Women said that during the past two decades, much progress has been made in women’s legal rights, educational achievements, and participation in public life.
It also stressed that much still remains to be done to address gender wage gaps and unequal opportunities, low representation of women in leadership in public office and the private sector, child marriage, rampant violence and other violations against women and girls. (MoFA)
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea