UAE Pledges Continued Support for Puntland Marine Forces
Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Addis Ababa, 28 March 2014 (WIC) - Puntland President Abdiweli Mohamed Ali and UAE Ambassador to Somalia Mohamed Al Osmani met to discuss on the bilateral relations between both sides. The meeting took place in Puntland marine Forces base in the port town of Bosaso.
Ambassador Mohamed Al Osmani who arrived in Bosaso on Wednesday, underlined that his government will continue supporting the Puntland’s new leadership progress. A Source from the Puntland President Office confirmed that both sides agreed the UAE to also continue supporting Puntland Marine police forces that was formed in 2010.
The UAE has funded the training program of the Puntland Maritime Police forces ever since which was conducted by Saracen International and South Africa-linked private military operator Sterling Corporate Services.
Puntland has managed to eradicate Pirate from its coasts, as a massive fall down came to the attacks and hijackings the sea gangs have been carrying out in the past years.
According to the Monitoring Dispatch from AMISOM, the semi-autonomous region is stepping up to tackle Somali militants who are expected to flee from Southern Somalia and seek for safe havens in Galgala mountain rages after coming under large offensives from the African Union and Somali troops.
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea
- Kismayo Airport resumes functioning
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off