AU Special Representative commends Djibouti for its continued commitment to peace in Somalia
Addis Ababa, 20th March 2014 (WIC)- The Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia, Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif has hailed the role played by Djiboutian troops serving under AMISOM.
Speaking during a meeting with the visiting Chief of Defense Forces of Djibouti- General Zakariah Sheikh Ibrahim, Ambassador Annadif observed that since their deployment into the mission, the troops have made significant contribution towards the fight against Al-Shabaab terrorists in the country.
According to a press release AMISOM sent to WIC, the AU Special Representative noted that last week alone, the troops from Djibouti serving under AMISOM helped Somali National Army soldiers to liberate the strategic and key town of Buulo-Burto from Al-Shabaab terrorists.
Ambassador Annadif paid tribute to six Djiboutian soldiers who have lost their lives during the military operation to liberate the town of Buulo-Burto and prayed for quick recovery of those who sustained injuries.
He said; “On behalf of the African Union Commission and on my own behalf, I express heartfelt condolences to the Government and people of Djibouti, relatives and friends of six Djiboutian colleagues who lost their lives in the fight for peace and stability in Somalia.”
In his remarks, General Zakariah Sheikh Ibrahim reaffirmed his government’s continued commitment to peace and stability in Somalia noting that the death of the six soldiers will not deter Djibouti’s resolve to end fighting in the country.
After their meeting, the two saw off six bodies of the fallen Djiboutian Soldiers at the Adden Abdulle Adde Airport.
|< Prev||Next >|
- Eritrean rebels claim to have killed dozens of intelligence agents
- Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency
- Al Shabaab on move to recruit young fighters ahead of massive military assault
- In 2014 Chinese-African trade will surpass $200 billion
- Tana High-Level Forum kicks off
- Kenya, Somalia vow to eliminate Al-Shabaab
- Meeting of Eastern Africa Defense, Security Council in Nairobi
- ENCDC holds a conference on the prevailing of freedom, democracy and justice in Eritrea